Monday, January 2, 2012

Top Five Reasons I'm Starting this Blog

5. John Cusack - When I was 24 years old, I saw the movie High Fidelity, starring John Cusack.  I have had a long standing crush on John Cusack since the 80's.  It's the face, the voice, the delivery, and Lloyd Dobler.  >SIGH<  Lloyd Dobler.  Anyway, without going into lots of detail about the greatness of this film, a part of  what pushes along the plot is his character, Rob, making lists of top fives in his life as he discovers that he is turning into an adult.  This is genius.  Ever since seeing the film, I have been creating lists of top fives in my head.  It's a way to simplify the most complicated emotions or situations I might be facing.  I lay it out in a top five.
4.  2012 - This is one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2012.  Yes, yes, I know, New Year's Resolutions are mostly bunk.  We start out the new year with great ideas about changes or actions we are going to make and two weeks later, life continues as normal.  Then we all feel like failures and eat a whole cake by ourselves.  Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, with that said, it's time I join the 21st century.  We are the people of the future and the people of the future blog to communicate.  At least that's what I've heard.  This is my way of embracing it.  Let's see how long it lasts.  Someone check this blog in February to see if I've written any updates and someone please check on me to see if I've eaten that whole cake.
3.  Making Connections - I refuse to believe that this world is as bad as the 6 o'clock news would have everyone think.  I love to meet new people and genuinely believe that most people in this world have a propensity for good.  I think we were made to connect with each other and to love.  I hope that this blog will open doors for me to meet new people from everywhere.  I am not starting this blog for people to judge me though.  I say what's in my head mostly as a way to work things out, and hoping someone can relate to what I feel or think.  If you are reading this just because you are one of those trolls who likes saying mean things to people for the sake of being mean, go away.  Mean people suck and you're not the kind of connection I am starting this for.
2.  It's Good for Me - I have had to move a few times in the past few years.  Every time I move, I have tried to lessen the amount of stuff that I own.  Storage is a luxury and it's dad gum expensive too.  I say that to say, that in going through my things I have found journals that I kept as a kid and as a teenager.  Writing is an outlet for me.  It always has been.  It's a non-threatening way to make external what is internal.  Reading my old journals is a pleasure and is at other times painful because I am given the key to see into a me I might have forgotten.  But, I also see that writing things down is good for me.  It's therapy without the hit on the wallet.  And these days, who needs another hit on the wallet?
1. Curiosity - My number one reason to start this blog at the beginning of 2012 is plain curiosity.  I know it killed the cat, but I'm willing to take the risk.  If I keep up with my blog, I'll have chronicled a year in my life and all the crazy, random things that pop in my head along the way.  I've seen what can happen in a year and I am curious to see what this one will bring. The difference this year though, is that I'm inviting you to come with me.  Now....who wants cake?

2 comments:

  1. I want cake! I want cake!

    Actually, nah, I'm not much of a cake person. But I'll read your blog baby. Happily.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. And John Cusack saved us all in 2012. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

    ReplyDelete