Thursday, January 5, 2012

Top Five New Year's Resolutions for 2012

I am writing mostly to keep myself accountable and also because it's one of my resolutions. You will notice that there is nothing mentioned here about exercising more or eating better.  That is so not who I am.  If I'm not successful this year with keeping these goals, I will be okay with that.  That also means, I will get cake.

5. This Blog - Please see previous blog for more detail on this resolution. 

4.  A Picture a Day - I totally swiped this idea from a friend of mine who is a photographer.  She took one picture (probably more) every day of her life for a year.  I love this idea!  Anyone who knows me knows that one of my hobbies is taking pictures.  I wouldn't say I'm a great photographer, but I've been told that I have a good eye.  I have a friend who is patiently sharing his knowledge about photography with me and I think I'm getting better.  Whether any of that is true or not, it is something I love.  So, I have decided to chronicle this year in 366 pictures.  The pictures are all posted in an album on my Facebook page.  My goal is to capture more than just people (my favorite subjects), but also the bits and pieces that make my life unique.  My life's gotta be unique, right?  I wonder what my story will look like when I'm done.  I'm hoping it's not a giant snore fest.

3.  Be a Better Pen Pal - That's right.  I have a pen pal.  The genuine article.  Remember those?  The kind where you send actual hand-written letters in the mail to someone far, far away and then that person writes back actual hand-written letters?  My pen pal is fabulous and we have a great story.  One that I'm not going to share here.  He lives in England and we've never met face to face, BUT we have been writing letters for almost four years.  In the past, I have been more diligent about writing letters to him, but lately, my letters have decreased in number and I don't like that.  Because of the time difference, it's a bear to try to find the time to talk.  Our letters and some brief instant messages are what keep us up-to-date.  It's time I make the time to write more consistently.

2.  See More of Texas - I am a Texas Girl to the core.  I was born here, lived here all my life, and I want to die here...someday.  I love road trips and prefer them to riding in an airplane.  I am a sucker for historical markers, old graveyards, and side-of-the-road-holes-in-the-wall (those are real).  I am definitely going to need some help with this one because I have an untrustworthy car and I really don't like to drive.  My boyfriend though, has a very trustworthy car and he loves to drive.  I'm hoping that he and I and the kids can take some weekend trips this year to see the state.  There's plenty of ground to cover, so I know we won't run out of places to see.  The biggest obstacle to this resolution is time.  Everyone is busy, especially our kids.  Good Heavens those two stay busy.  The second obstacle would be the cost.  I think we know enough people scattered around the state that we might be able to find places to crash, but there's the cost of gasoline to think about.  Not to mention shopping for souvenirs at all those historical markers and side-of-the-road-holes-in-the-wall. 

1.  Make a Difference - I know that sounds cheesy and is a cliche, but it's what I want to do this year more than anything else.  I am not wealthy, so I can't give money to charity.  I'm not powerful, so I don't touch things on a global scale.  I'm not highly influential, so crowds of people don't hush when I speak.  But I do have a circle of family, friends, and students that are within my reach.  I hope that this year in at least one person's life, I make a difference for the better.  It's my way of saying thank you for the overwhelming amount of blessings and supports that have been given to me.

Bring on 2012, but only one day at a time.  Okay?

2 comments:

  1. ROADTRIP! ROADTRIP! ROADTRIP!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can keep these resolutions, it's you! Oh, you already make a difference in kids lives everyday!

    ReplyDelete